- SPECIAL OFFERS
Contact & About
This is a tour for people that want to explore the side of Budapest that tourists and even some locals don't see, the neighborhoods where art and culture and blossoming in places that have been previously unloved and forgotten.
Click here for full tour description.
Highlights and Themes
- Get a look at Budapest's unique districts usually ignored by tourists
- Poke around industrial areas and gritty back streets to discover a thriving subculture and vibrant contemporary arts scene
- Cycle off the beaten track into the city's more obscure districts
- Ride along the Danube
- Visit the home of Op-Art: The Vasarely Museum
- Refreshment stop
- Enjoy a traditional "Lángos" (deep fried-dough)
Tour Priceonline booking
49 € Adults
45 € Students (with a valid student card)
A minimum of 2 guests are required for this tour to run.
Due to the long distance cycled on this tour, children under 12 are not able to take part.
Inclusions: English speaking guide, bike rental with helmet (optional) entrance fee to Vasarely Museum, refreshment stop with a soft drink and a snack.
Exclusions: Transport to the meeting point or from the conclusion point, gratuity/tip.
Our bike tours are small and generally do not have more than 10 participants, making them interactive and personal and giving you plenty of chances to ask questions and get to know your guide.
April to 31 October
14:00 - Tuesday, Friday, Sunday
No tours between 1 November and 31 March
Meeting and conclusion point:
Absolute Tour Center - 1065 Budapest, Lázár utca 16 just behind the Opera House.
The tour conlcudes at the departure point.
Full tour description
Duration: 4,5-5 hours
Distance: approx. 23 km / 18 miles, flat ride, no elevation.
Most tourist visiting Budapest go through the usual bucket list of famous historic sights. Though ticking these off your list is great, it rarely gives an insight into contemporary city life and culture. During the alternative tour we give you a glimpse behind veil. Rather than looking backwards, we go off the beaten track, in search of what make Budapest the unique and buzzing city it is today.
Starting at our office behind the Opera House, we head past the Parliament and onto the lush green Margaret Island. Here you can learn about Margaret, the daughter of King Béla IV, and see the hidden gems of the island, such as the open-air theater, the Japanese Garden, the Musical Fountain and beautiful Art Nouveau Water Tower.
From here we cycle to the northern part of Buda, Óbuda, to visit the Victor Vasarely Museum. This honors the work of the famous Hungarian-French artist who is accepted as the "grandfather" of the Op Art movement. After a short refreshment break at a local pub, we'll take a look at the work of both amatuer and professional graffiti artist on Budapest's longest legal graffiti wall. Because Óbuda was once an important center for industrial production, we have a peek at some of the now disused factories. We also take a look at the spectacular Óbuda Gas Works. Inaugurated in 1914 it was the most advance gas factory in Europe producing 250,000m3 gas each day.
For the last leg of the tour, we'll make our way down to the banks of the river Danube. Here we can relax in one of the many outdoor cafes and watch the busy river. It's also a great opportunity to try the great traditional Hungarian street food, "lángos". Saying it's deep fried dough with sour cream and cheese really doesn't do it justice. Even better doused with lots of garlic!
With full bellies, we ride back into the city center and our alternative tour concludes where it began.
- Participants will need to be fit for continuous biking for up to 23 km / 18 miles with breaks along the way.
- A minimum of 2 guests are required for this tour to run.
- Participants must know how to ride a bike.
- Tour goes in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Refunds/exchanges are not given due to adverse weather.
- We are not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents.
- We reserve the right to alter and change tour program without prior notice due to construction, city closure for events, festivals etc. throughout the year.
- Anyone suspected of being under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted to ride and forfeit their right to do the tour, without refund.
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund. No show or non-participation on the tour will not be refunded.
- Children policy: Infant(s) free up to 2 years, children: 3-12 years special price, 13 years and older are charged at student price, student rate will require a valid student ID card when joining the tour.